Thursday, April 7, 2011

Gulf State Park - Gulf Shores Alabama

We sadly say goodbye to all of the beautiful southeast beaches of Florida & Alabama as we begin to make our way north.  Gulf State Park is a huge park (~500 sites).  There were many pull through sites including this one:

The park is very clean, well maintained and has lots to offer including miles of very nice paved bike/walking trails:


Much of the bike trail was protected from the sun which was nice in the 80+ degree weather! 



The bike trails pass several wetland areas too.  The adult and baby gator below were only 5 feet off the bike trail:


If you looked close you could also see several turtles sunning themselves along the bike trail:


When I arrived here they had just opened the pool:


I was only here for 3 days but every day was a beautiful beach day!  The beach was packed on the weekend:


There was a skim board contest going on here.  Saw some cool tricks and even better wipe outs!


You know this one didn't end pretty:


About 10 miles down the road was an inlet on the FL/AL state line (better known as FlorAbama).  The beach here was beautiful and a great place to watch the boats come in & out:


I risked my life by standing in the road (and getting honked at) while I tried to convince this little guy to get out of the road.  If the cars didn't run him over the Osprey flying overhead were going to have an easy lunch  . . . he finally bolted into the field:


You have to check out "The Hangout" bar/restaurant in the evening.  They have bands playing every night and all kinds of outdoor games to play here.  I was schooling some locals on how to swing the ring on the hook - they called me a yankee (which didn't sound like a term of endearment).  Every so often someone will perform some act outside in the middle of it all:


It's off to Mobile AL to have the trailer & truck serviced.  While here working with Johnny's RV (who went over and above to try to help), I stayed at Johnny's RV campground.  If you're in the area it's a nice place to stay.  Several sites including ours were a pull through with plenty of room and full hookups:


For several months now I've been dealing with Ford trying to figure out why my truck shakes on acceleration with the trailer on it.  More to come on the details of this but I want to give kutos to Camper City for working with me to find a solution to the problem.  Special shout out to Greg (owner of 3 Camper City locations) and Dave (Mobile Manager) for working with me to find the best solution.  I'd highly reccomend these guys for any truck accessory need if you're in the MS/AL area!!!


I picked up Suze at the Mobile airport and then we headed north to Natchez MS.  More to come . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment